- Sunday, September 25, 2011
This easy fall recipe is a great way for me to use the Calvados I brought back from a trip to Normandy last year!
- 4 Fuji or Royal Gala apples, peeled, cored, and each cut into 16 wedges
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Calvados
- Accompaniment: premium-quality vanilla or cinnamon ice cream and crumbled ginger snaps
Toss apples with lemon juice and 2 tablespoons sugar. Melt butter in a shallow baking pan 6 inches from heat. Remove from oven and tilt pan back and forth to coat bottom completely with butter. Arrange apples in 1 layer in pan. Broil apples 6 inches from heat until edges are pale golden and apples are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over apples and broil until sugar is melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
While apples are broiling, boil maple syrup and Calvados 2 minutes.
Serve apples and ice cream topped with sauce, sprinkle crumbled ginger snaps over the top.
Recipe submitted by Allison Liddell, modified from a similar recipe on Epicurious.com.
Photo is apple trees from Merridale Estate Winery in Vancouver.