- Saturday, September 26, 2015
I'm going to try this recipe this year. The butter is interesting
- 2 red peppers, seeded, finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 2 green peppers, seeded, finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 10 large jalapeño peppers, seeded, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 pkg. SURE-JELL Fruit Pectin
- 1/2 tsp. butter or margarine
- 5 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
Bring boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
Place peppers in 6- or 8-qt. saucepot. Add vinegar. Stir in pectin. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 min. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing centers of lids with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)
(recipe from Kraft/Sure-Jell)